Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Beautiful/Decay's Studio Visit With Medusawolf

(Via Beautiful/Decay)

By day Alan E. Brown is a mild mannered bookstore employee in Bear, Delaware. At night he transforms himself into Medusawolf and paints quaint little portraits of demons, beasts, and robots ? each radiating their own agonizing, pulsating energies. These intensely hued dimensions merge bits of insanity, beauty, and humor and crunch it all down into a fun but very warped output. I got a chance to catch up with Medusawolf to find out what he is up to?
(Read more below.)

The creatures in your work seem like they?ve pushed through a tear in a dimension and have existed for eons. How did this fascination with monsters begin?

MW: I began painting the creatures sometime around early spring of 2010. I think what planted the seed they grew from was reading the book ?Grendel? by John Gardner several years ago. Each chapter was headed up by a great illustration of the monster by artist Emil Antonucci. The book and the illustrations really coiled themselves around my mind. After a few devastating life changes in the early 2000?s the character?s frustration and heartbreak really spoke to me. I?ve been working off and on on a comic book for the last few years, just for the pleasure of it, and I needed an antagonist for these little creatures on their adventure through a strange alien world. I came up with a character who initially is inspired by the creature that I saw in my mind as I read that novel years before. Since then, the character sort of has grown to become an extension of myself somehow and I guess ? in a way ? the paintings come from having a lot to ?say? with paint and paper because I feel so close the monster.

See the full studio visit on Beautiful/Decay.

'; var coords = [-5, -72]; // display fb-bubble FloatingPrompt.embed(this, html, undefined, 'top', {fp_intersects:1, timeout_remove:2000,ignore_arrow: true, width:236, add_xy:coords, class_name: 'clear-overlay'}); });

Jessica Simpson Missi Pyle Tamala Jones Katharine McPhee Michelle Behennah

No comments:

Post a Comment